Using a true random number generator for for musical synthesis

As a hobby I have been researching musical synthesizers, and many have a random module as an element.

It would be very interesting to add a true random number generator to one of these modules

Maybe ya already know but I recall anu had a link on their site to music/audio that was made with their qrng.

To use MMI in place of the builtin random generator requires understanding the function of the random numbers in the module. In addition the MMI generator/processing should provide the maximum effect size so the result would be noticeable. This would likely be a continuous (not initiated) form of MMI, which is the hardest to get a large effect size from. Just providing random numbers from ANU’s online source would hardly seem sufficient to achieve noticeable, real-time effects.

As always with MMI systems, real-world testing of various designs is necessary to determine which provides the best (the most interesting, engaging or pleasing) results.

Yeah I wasn’t meaning in the context of MMI, I think they were just some experimental musicians who were interested in using true randomness to make sounds.

They actually sell modules that introduce randomness, including an older Soviet module that apparently uses zener diodes.

Many modular synthesis players are extremely entangled with their devices, and it is a sort of inside joke that their minds can interface with the source of randomness to drive a groove a certain way.

Obviously this would be quite an undertaking and the market would be small, although the demographic is used to paying 600-800 dollars per module.

Just a passing thought, since the modular synth people are already very experienced in signal processing, which seems to be a very important part of understanding MMI.

A significantly responsive psychoresponsive device that helped modulate the voltage which produce the synthesizers the voice would be a really awesome application, with limited market interest, should the components and knowhow become cheaper in the future.

The PrdCore.dll (not quite up to date yet) already uses the PCQNG software-enabled MMI generator (on Intel compatible PCs) that could provide a psycho-responsive (MindEnabled) output. Not the top of the line MMI generator, but readily available and could be at little to no cost. Data could be processed in a simple algorithm in the host computer and output an analog signal through a speaker output.